Kedarkantha Trek in Uttarakhand, head to the beautiful Himalayan mountains which offers full of excitement and quickly becoming the best tourist place in Uttarakhand. Trekking in India is the perfect option to spend a vacation in the lap of Himalaya. Grabbing the attention with a cracking view of the mountains and beautiful meadows, the Kedarkantha peak trek has one of the best campsites that comes first to mind when planning for the easy best winter trekking in Uttarakhand.
The trekking trail to kedarkantha peak through the pine trees and snow-capped mountains. This best winter trek in Uttarakhand also offers a chance to experience the ancient villages of Garhwal range of mountains and their lifestyle and culture. This is one of the best winter treks in India. Kedarkantha trekking in India is the perfect option to spend a vacation in the lap of Himalaya.
Kedarkantha winter trek is one of the most loved attractions of the winter trek in Himalaya. And also, one can capture the most beautiful sights with the verdant valley and frozen lakes. Similarly, With the maximum height reaching 12500 feet. This winter trek is an easy to moderate level trek. And at the same time, Kedarkantha peak weekend trek known for providing a huge amount of snow that makes a trek exciting
Dehradun, Purola, Sankri, Govind Wild Life Sanctuary.
Drive from Dehradun to Sankri (6,450 ft, 220km, 8 hours)
- We will leave from Dehradun by 6:30 am and reach Sankri approximately by 5:00 pm. Sankri is a beautiful small village which has a few small dhabas and shops. We would be staying overnight in a guesthouse slightly up the road. We would reach Sankri at the time of sunset, which makes for a beautiful setting, as the Swargarohini peaks stand over the ridges beyond Sankri.
Trek from Sankri to Juda Ka Talab (9,000 ft, 4km, 5 hours)
- Today, we will leave for trekking and reach our campsite, Juda ka Talab. We will leave at around 9:00 am after a sumptuous breakfast at the guesthouse. We will leave Sankri passing through another small village of Saur, from where the trail takes us to Kedarkantha. The path goes through pine forest until we reach a ridge, which opens up into a wide trail. After we have completed almost a quarter of our trek, we would catch up to the stream, we have been hearing. This is the last spot to fill water bottles until Juda ka Talab. As we carry on the same trail, we go through pine and maple forests and the trail becomes dense and narrow again until you reach Juda ka Talab. Juda ka Talab makes for a perfect campsite with a large lake on the left and dense pine and oak forests on the right. The lake was once two lakes that are now conjoined to make one. Enjoy the sunset with evening snacks and explore the area and rest for the day.
Trek from Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base (10,600 ft, 4km, 4 hours)
- Today, we start our day with hot tea and breakfast and then head towards Kedarkantha Base. As we leave Juda ka Talab, the trail is straight and rises to an elevation at the edge of the lake and goes into the dense pine forest. As we continue to walk on the ridge for another half an hour, the ridge opens out to another open field. You will find a shepherd’s hut here where you can take a break and relax for a while as we have less than a thousand feet to climb to the Kedarkantha base. After a short climb, in the shadows of oak trees, the route opens up into a field again. Look behind to absorb and enjoy the panorama of snow ranges surrounding Kedarkantha peak. As we climb up higher, usually over snow, we reach our destination, Kedarkantha base camp site. Snow- capped mountains like Ranglana, Kala Nag, Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, stretch from your right to your left.
Trek from Kedarkantha Base to Kedarkantha Peak and back to Kedarkantha Base (12,500 ft, 6km, 7-8 hrs)
- We wake up a bit early for the beautiful sunrise from the Kedarkantha base; the Kedarkantha peak is clearly visible from the base. We then move forward with our day with a hot cup of tea and breakfast.
- There are many trails to go up to Kedarkantha Peak, the best route is from the northern elevation of the summit, it takes 3 hours to climb the summit from the campsite. The mountain top is marked by a trishul-like arrangement of stones that points to the sky. The mountain top gives a 360° view of the snowy mountains of Uttrakhand. The Gangotri and Yamnotri , Chansil and Kinnaur Kailash are a few of the ranges that are visible from the top. There is a straight forward descent from the peak to the Kedarkantha base, the route we would take is full of oak and pine trees and many frozen streams. We reach back in the evening and finally relax after an eventful day.
Trek from Kedarkantha Base to Sankri (6400 feet, 6km, 4-5 hrs)
- Today, we head back to Sankri after we fill our stomachs with sumptuous breakfast. The path to Sankri is filled with stones and is basically a descent through pine trees with a stream on our left which is a good spot to fill water. We start on this path walking past the cluster of four huts and through deep dark pine forest that engulfs the route as it moves further away from the ridge. The hike route gets even more beautiful as it spirals down to a pine forest that leads to Hargaon. The trail evens out and progressively goes downhill through pine forest to come to another ridge. From this elevation point, we can view the open Har ki Dun valley and as we climb down, we encounter apple orchard and potato farms. The trail divides numerous times and each division leads to a different part of Sankri. In the evening, we reach the guesthouse and enjoy dinner there before we head to our beds to rest.
Sankri – Dehradun Drive back (220km, 10-11 hours)
- We start our 10 hour long drive from Sankri to Dehradun after breakfast. The drive would be one a kind with pine forests and rivers as your view as your drive down. We will stop for lunch in between to enjoy food in the midst of such beauty. We will reach Dehradun by 8:00 pm
• Poncho, Rain Coat or Umbrella any one is must
• Backpack (Min 55 Ltrs)
• Floaters or Sandals, Trekking Shoes
• 2 Pairs of Quick Dry Tees and Track Pants
• 3 Pair of Socks, 2 pairs of woolen socks
• One down feather Jackets
• 2 Full Sleeve Sweater or Fleece Jacket
• Sun Cap, One Scarf
• Light towel, Lip Balm
• Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+), Water Bottle 1 Lt
• Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
• Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
• Personal Medicine Kit
• Trekking Pole
• Dark Sunglasses, Gloves,
• Camera (optional)
Fitness Required for Kedarkantha Trek
At high altitude as the air gets thinner oxygen becomes less abundant.The percentage saturation of hemoglobin with oxygen determines the content of oxygen in our blood. After the human body reaches around 2,100 m (7,000 feet) above sea level, the level of oxygen in our hemoglobin begins to plummet. However, the human body has both short-term and long-term adaptations to altitude that allow it to partially compensate for the lack of oxygen.
The Kedarkantha Trek is an easy trek suitable for first time trekker with basic fitness
Trekking Experience: Ideal trek for a beginner.
Fitness Required: The Kedarkantha Trek falls in the category of Moderate treks. The trail is fairly laid out path and has very few steep ascends or descends. Water is available through out the trail. But still if you are thinking of your first big Himalayan trekking experience its better to be prepared. Here is the training schedule to prepare for the trek.
Our treks are generally planned in a way that on an average you have to cover around 9 Kms in 6 hours although there may be slight variation depending on the terrain. This works out to roughly 1.5km per hour which is equivalent to walking in the plains at 6km per hour.
You can train yourself to run 3 kms in 30 minutes as per the schedule given below. Remember always start your training program with stretching and warm up exercises.
Follow this training schedule for trekking fitness required.
Week 1: Start with 10 minute of brisk walk and then jog for 10 minutes and finally 10minutes of easy walk.
Week 2: 5 minutes of brisk walk 15 minutes of jog 5 minutes of easy walk
Week 3: 5 minutes of brisk walk 15 minutes of jog 5 minutes of easy walk
Week 4: 5 minutes of brisk walk and jog for 25 min and cool down your body
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS : (FAQ)
What is the Kedarkantha Trek?
Kedarkantha Trek is an easy high altitude trek done throughout the trek and is particularly enjoyable during winters. The trek is situated in the Uttrarkashi district of Uttarakhand on the Himachal Uttarakhand border.
When is the best time to go to for the Kedarkantha Trek?
The best time for Kedarkantha Trek is during the during the winter months of December,January,March, April and May. But this trek can be done and is enjoyable throughout the year
What is Kedarkantha Trek Difficulty Level?
Kedarkantha Trek Difficulty level is considered by comparison an easy high altitude trek. But you need to have good physical fitness to complete this trek. Doing cardio vascular exercises is very helpful for preparing for this trek. Total Trekking Kedarkantha trek distacne is around 20 Kilometers only but it is all uphill trek right till the summit. Kedarkantha Trek gives you a feeling of a Peak Expedition.
What will be Kedarkantha temperature?
During the Kedarkantha temperature may between -15 to 10 degree Celsius. There will be considerable variation between night and day and in the direct sun and shade, so it is important to plan accordingly. Kedarkantha Temperature in winter go as low as -15 degree Celsius at Kedarkantha Basecamp where as in Summer months of March April and May Kedarkantha Temperature might be as low as 5 degrees Celsius.
How will be the Kedarkantha Weather?
Kedarkantha Weather during peak winter months from December to February there are high chances of Snowfall. Kedarkantha Weather changes due to western disturbances which cause snowfall and rain in Himalayan region. Kedarkantha Weather remains clear from March to June but you can expect little to heavy rain due to local Kedarkantha weather system.
What is Kedarkantha Height?
Kedarkantha Height is around 3410 meters or 12500 feet above sea level which makes it easy peak to summit but in winter months when it is covered under heavy snow it becomes a challenging trek.
How to Travel from Dehradun to Sankri?
Our Kedarkantha Trek package includes travel from Dehradun to Sankri but any one wants to travel on their own then they can travel by Government as well Private bus from Dehradun to Sankri. Just outside Dehradun Railway station there is a government bus from where one can get direct bus for Dehradun to Sankri.
What is Dehradun To Kedarkantha Distance?
Dehradun to Kedarkantha distance is around 200 Kilometers. Dehradun to Sankri road distance is around 180 kilometers and 20 Kilometers of trekking distance from Sankri to Kedarkantha Peak.
What will be the Sankri Temperature?
Sankri Temperature in winter will be in the range of -5 to 20 degree Celsius and during summer month Sankri temperature will be in the range of 5 degree Celsius to 25 degree.
How much we have to trek each day?
Normally our trek are designed in such a way that we reach our camp by lunch time and on an average trekking distance is roughly 6 Kms each day and it takes around 6 hours by an average trekker to cover that distance.
What medicines should I carry during the trek?
Below is a list of basic medicines you should carry for a high altitude trek.
Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
Band aid – 10 stripsGauze cloth – 1 small role
Leukoplast – 1 small roll
Cotton – 1 small roll
ORS – 5 packets
Who will lead and who all will go along with us ?
All our treks are led by certified & Experienced Trek Leaders/Guides. We believe in sustainable adventure eco-tourism which in effect means that our teams are locally sourced. Other than a Trek lead we in our team we will have local Guides, Cook, Helpers and Porters.
I am the only girl in a trek, is it safe ?
We generally have a ratio of Male:Female of about 2:1. Mountains on the whole are much safer than the plains. Lots of solo female trekkers join us and we make it a point that only female trekkers share the tent with other female trekkers
What level of fitness is expected from the trekkers
Good physical fitness as well as mental fitness is required for the Kedarkantha Trek. This is an ideal trek for a beginner who wants to familiarize him/herself with high altitude treks.To get into optimum level of fitness you can go through our article How to prepare for a high altitude trek.
What is there in Food menu during a trek ?
We server wholesome and nutritious Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Evening Snacks. The food is vegetarian. Vegetarian food is preferable at high altitudes as it is easy to digest.
Is the water on the trek safe?
The advantage of trekking the Himalayas is that your trekking route is filled with fresh Himalayan streams. Your trek leader/guide will direct you to places where you can fill clean water from. We recommend this water but in case you are unsure you can carry water purifying tablets with you.
What type of vehicles are used for transportation ?
We use Sumo/Xylo/Tempo for transportation.
What do you do if we encounter a medical emergency during the trek?
Our team is trained in handling high altitude emergencies. Apart from being trained mountaineers they bring a wealth of experience with dealing with high altitude illnesses. We carry First aid kits and oxygen cylinders with us and in case of other medical emergencies we rescue the trekker till the road head. If any additional cost of evacuation is incurred it is borne by the trekker. Also before the trek it’s your responsibility to get a medical fitness checkup by a doctor which certifies you are fit enough for this trek.
Visit our cancellation policy : https://www.myhikes.in/cancellation-policy/