Agumbe is a high-altitude village in the southwest Indian state of Karnataka. Surrounded by the Western Ghats mountains and lush rainforest, it’s known for its many waterfalls, such as Onake Abbi, Bakarna and Jogi Gundi falls. Owing to its high rainfall, it has received the epithet of “The Cherrapunji of South India”, after Cherrapunji, it is one of the rainiest places in India. Located amidst such beauty at a height of 3800ft, is the tallest peak of Agumbe- “Narasimha Parvatha”. The trek begins from Malandur village.
The trail is beautiful adored with flora and fauna in multitudes. River sita winds down along the trail. The initial trail is easy but as you further go in, the trail gets narrower and the forests grow thicker. There are a few sources of water on the way to the top. Ancient trees that have withstood the wrath of time greet you with shade as very little sunlight is able to pierce through the dense canopy of this jungle.
Journey from Bangalore
- 9pm depart from bangalore with pick up points mentioned above. Reach base camp @6am, freshen up have breakfast and start trek by 8am followed by the packed lunch.
- Continue on the trek to witness the marvel of Barkana falls. It gives you a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a waterfall both from below and from it’s point of origin. Water falls from a height of 2200ft that makes it one among the 10 largest waterfalls in India.
- The humid forests pave way to windy grasslands adored with bushes. Once you see stone pillars you’re almost near the peak. You can chill and enjoy the scenery, the peak has to offer.
- We begin the descent towards Kigga, where you will reach Rishyashringa temple. It takes about 2-3 hours to reach Kigga.
- Wake up call at 7am, freshen up have breakfast and visit to Sringeri and depart to Bangalore. Reach Bangalore at 9pm.
Fitness Required: 7/10
Trek Distance: 21-23 km
• ID proof
• Necessary toiletries
• Track pants
• Full sleeve t-shirt and full length lower while kayaking (nylon)
• Torch (with extra batteries)
• Personal Medication
Note: Drinking, smoking or any kind of drugs are strictly prohibited during the trip.