Skandagiri, also historically known as Kalwarbetta or Kalavara Durga, is a mountain fortress located around 70 km from Bangalore. This tiring yet much rewarding trek takes you through a spectacular journey amidst the wilderness. Starting from Bangalore, reach the base point and hereby begins the sunrise trek.
The serene and sublime atmosphere around Skandagiri will definitely boost up your adrenaline to a whole new level. This 8 km trek can easily be completed within 4 hours of ascending and descending. Tried and tested both by amateurs and professionals, this moderately difficult trek is a must for all thrill seekers.
The climb gets a little trying as you reach the Papagni Temple, hereby offering treacherous terrains amongst the dense shrubs around. From this point, the steep climb may require tricky footwork till you reach the summit.
The ruined remains of Tipu Sultan’s fortress and an abandoned fort remains at the top of the hill. Skandagiri is famous for walking above the clouds, literally!
Wake up to experience the morning winds caressing you, as you open your eyes to get the most magnanimous sight of the sun rising above beds of clouds, a sight so rare and equally refreshing. The misty valley of Skandagiri is bound to leave an everlasting impression on your mind.
Journey from Bangalore
- Take an overnight journey from Bangalore on friday 10.00 pm.
- Reach private campsite/resort 1.00 am, followed by fun games / bonfire.
- Reach base camp at 4.00 am for the trek starting point
- 6.00 am reach peak & enjoy beautiful sunrise from atop the peak.
- Explore the thickets and the panoramic views from the top & start descending back by 7.30 am
- 9.00 am have breakfast and start return journey back to bangalore
- 11.00 am reach bangalore.
- Drop location will be same as above pick up points.
Fitness Required: 5/10
Trek Distance: 7-8 km
Note: Drinking, smoking or any kind of drugs are strictly prohibited during the trip.
• ID proof, Water bottle (2 ltrs)
• Backpack ideal for a day trip (10-20 lts)
• Track pants
• Full sleeve cotton t-shirt
• Torch (with extra batteries)
• Personal Medication, Energy bars, dry fruits.
• Necessary toiletries
• Shoes with a good grip